Saturday, August 17, 2013

Week Three in the Lima CCM

August 6, 2013

I just love being here in Peru!

This week was pretty good. It’s getting pretty repetitive though and it is making me super duper excited to be able to leave see more of Peru. I’m halfway done here! 3 weeks from today I will be flying out, whether I know Spanish or not.

Classes here are good. I really love my district and all of my teachers. The Spanish is still super duper difficult but it is definitely coming. I can finally understand a lot of what people are saying. Trying to form sentences for myself is still pretty much impossible but I’m sure it will get better with time.

It was so nice Wednesday morning walking upstairs and seeing Elder Schouten. It’s weird saying Elder Schouten. He’s still Austin for me. And I see him all the time here. There are only like 150 people here right now so you pretty much get to know everyone. I kind of like it. It’s like we’re all friends. Elder Schouten has the same exercise time as me from 4 to 5 pm so we get to play soccer for an hour then. Too bad his P day is Thursday and not Tuesday like me. That would be the best.

Soccer Field at the CCM
This last week I was able to finish the Book of Mormon. I love the Book of Mormon. I know that it is true. I love how happy it makes me when I read it and study it. Every time I read something out of it I get something new from it. This last week we really were studying the Restoration of the Gospel and the Book of Mormon. We talked a lot about Joseph Smith and my testimony has definitely been strengthened here. On Sunday we watched a Joseph Smith movie in English and it was so nice. At the end of the movie they play the song Praise to the Man and the spirit was so strong. I looked around and all the missionaries had tears rolling down their faces because they know that this gospel is true and the Holy Ghost testifies of that to us. The Spirit is so strong in the MTC.

It’s crazy to think that tonight David [another cousin] will be set apart and then there will be 6 Twitchell grandkids out. It’s such a blessing to be surrounded by such amazing examples. Every day I pray for Elder Christensen, Sister Benjamin, Sister Tanner, Sister Baker, Elder Schouten, and David, soon to be elder, Tanner. I’m sure it’s been killing David to be home. I’m sure he just wants to be out with us. I am jealous that he will get chocolate milk and cold cereal in the morning at the Provo MTC though. I could really go for some Froot Loops right now.

Today we went out shopping for p day. I bought some scripture cases for my Spanish scriptures and then went to Tottus and bought some comfort food. We went and bought churros off this street stand again. I know that it could be dangerous eating off a street stand but I don’t care. It’s worth it because they are so dang good. I said a blessing on them though. Just in case that helps. On our way back from the churro stand on our way to the temple we passed this lady walking with her little boy. The little boy was probably only like 4 years old but he looked up at Elder Monson, Elder Truman, Elder Strong, and I and goes, "Hola, Elderes!" It was honestly the cutest thing I have ever seen. I love it how even though I’m in South America I still run into people that are faithful members of the church. It doesn’t matter what country you are in or what language you are speaking, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true.

We’re only allowed to take pictures on P day in the MTC so that’s kind of a bummer, but oh well.

Lauren, this week I was pretty jealous of how you were in Australia. You already know the language. It’s so hard to explain what you are thinking and bring the Spirit when you hardly even know any of the language! Oh well though. It will get better. Little by little.

The church is True! Love you all! :)


Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment