Monday, February 17, 2014

News about transfers... 2/10/14

First off. This week passed by super duper fast. I don't even know what to think. It was the end of the last transfer, and here is a new one right in front of me. I'm honestly a little bit glad that the last transfer is over. It was not the easiest thing ever, but I was able to learn a ton!

Last Monday our District Leader told us that my companion and Elder E had to go to Lima on Tuesday so they could finish all their visa stuff because they are ending their missions today and will not be living here in Peru anymore. Tuesday the zone leaders Elder P and Elder E had a training meeting in the mission home in the morning, so Elder G and I had to travel to Piura in the afternoon so Elder G could go to Lima with Elder E. We met the zone leaders in the mission office and I traveled back to Paita with Elder P. We ended up getting back to Paita at about 6:30 pm and we went back to Elder P's apartment. That was when we realized that Elder G and Elder E both had the keys to our rooms. So we were in Paita without the keys to either of our apartments. We had to wait until about 8:30 pm for the person that rents out their apartment to get home so he could lend us a spare key for a few days. That was pretty exciting. Probably the best part of that day was that I got my birthday package! I didn't open it though. I am going to wait until my actual birthday to open it! Overall, that was a pretty crazy day! 

It was fun working with Elder P for 2 days in his area. Honestly, the zone leaders have a lot of responsibility. They are always getting phone calls from the missionaries in their zone and from the people in the office. I had a good time working with him though. I felt like I was able to learn a lot and improve as a missionary! Elder G and Elder E ended up getting back from Lima on Thursday at about 9 in the morning, and Elder G and I were able to head back to our apartment in Paita Baja. 

This was my last week working here with Elder G. Today he leaves to go home to his querido México. Honestly, this last transfer was one of the hardest for me so far in the mission. We didn't see much success. There have been times that I have wanted to cry, and times I wanted to give up. But I made it through this last transfer. It was super hard, but I have learned a ton. Even though it has been hard I was able to learn a lot from my companion about how to become a better teacher. And looking back on it, the thing I am most grateful for, is that with having a companion leaving the mission, I was able to realize the importance of every single day in the mission. I know that it is going to be my last transfer in the mission before I know it. And I do not want to end it with any regrets. The time we have to be a missionary is TINY in the grand scheme of things. I want to give everything I have, no matter how tired I am. I want to be able to look back on this time with no regrets. I don't want to have to say "I wish I would have worked harder this day." The mission has been a huge blessing in my life, and I want to make the best of every single day that I have here.

Friday and Saturday went pretty slow for us. Our investigators weren't home so unfortunately we weren't able to visit them. Hopefully this week we will be able to visit them a little more and have more time. On Saturday evening we had a service project. We were able to go to the house of a member and paint a bedroom. It was pretty fun except that the room was super small and the smell of paint was so strong that I had to keep on running outside to be able to breathe some fresh air! After that we hurried and went and showered and went and visited a few people that Elder G wanted to say goodbye to in the branch. 

At 8:30 on Saturday night we had to call the zone leaders to find out the . I was super anxious to hear about what was going to be happen to me here in Puerto Paita. I called them and Elder P answered the phone and was like.... "Elder Baker! You need to be in the mission home at 1 pm on Tuesday to pick up your new companion. You are going to be training this transfer." Honestly, I wasn't expecting that. Not at all. And to tell you the truth, I really don't feel ready to be a trainer. But I do know one thing. Assignments and companions are assigned after President earnestly prays and receives revelation. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be training, but I know that it is for a reason. I don't know exactly how I am going to do it, but I know that if I pray a lot, I will be able to find the strength that I need and I will be able to help a new missionary learn how things work in the mission. I'm super excited for this opportunity but super nervous. One thing I realize is that I have a huge responsibility. It's up to me to be the guide and to help this missionary become the missionary that he is meant to be. I am super excited and I know that I am going to grow a ton from this experience. I can't wait for tomorrow when I receive my new companion!

Mom, it sounds like you are ridiculously busy with piano right now! Honestly, I love piano music though. I miss hearing the piano. The people here don't know how to play piano. And every week in church they sing the hymns a cappella and they make up the tune as they go. It's great! jajaja  Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Rain sounds super nice right now! All I have is sun. That's it. And that's super cool that Peru has an Olympic team in Russia. 3 people. jaja. I haven't heard much about the Olympics here. Winter sports don't really exist for these people. Thanks for the birthday package! I can't wait to open it. This last week I bought a sweet Alianza Lima soccer jersey. I figured I'd give it to myself as a birthday present!

Other than that not much happened this week. I know this church is true. I am so grateful to be here in the mission! Thanks for all the love and support and birthday wishes! You guys are the best! Love you guys!

Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment