Thursday, November 21, 2013

Fasting is a blessing - 11/4/13

NOTE: This letter was right after Elder Baker had received word that his beloved Red Sox won the World Series!

November!!! Holy moly. Where has all this time gone???

First off. RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX... I honestly don't have anything else to say....

Second off. I was looking at my deodorant this week and I noticed that it says 48 hour protection. So this week I started showering every other day. It's super nice to wake up in the morning and not have to shower. And plus I figure that it is a way I can save money by not having to buy as much shampoo. haha Just kidding. That would be disgusting. I sweat so much here. Even though it says 48 hour protection I'm pretty sure that it doesn't even last 6 hours until lunchtime. And plus, I love showering. Even though the water is temperature ice, I love it. One of the best parts of the day. I hate feeling dirty. Something I feel a lot here.

This week was a great week. Wednesday went really well. We had another lesson with a less active member. We have been teaching her a lot lately. When we started teaching her, she hadn't gone to church in years and had a lot of questions and didn't have much desire to come to church. And now she comes to church every week and wants to be more involved in all of the activities in the church. Wednesday night was freezing. No clue why. During the day it was 97 degrees. 97 degrees--and you guys are having snow right now. But that night it was freezing. It reminds me of being in the mountains camping where it would be warm during the day but freezing at night. Thank goodness for the blanket on my bed or I would have died. We got a call from the APs saying that we need to be looking for another room in our ward. Our room right now is for 4 missionaries but only 2 of us are living here right now. It's pretty expensive for just 2 people. We went out and looked but we were unsuccessful. There are no rooms anywhere in our ward that we could rent. We are still looking though.

Thursday was Halloween. The people here don't really celebrate Halloween. They have posters everywhere that say Halloween but they don't do anything for it. Well actually they do one thing. They go around telling people happy birthday. I don't quite understand it. Isn't that something that you would do on April Fools day?? whatever though. We had a zone meeting Thursday morning which was pretty cool. We ended up getting some news that I'm super excited about. On the 20th of this month all of the missionaries in my mission get to go to Chiclayo to hear from Elder Russell M. Nelson! I'm super duper excited! It's going to be our mission and mission Chiclayo. Chiclayo is like 3 hours away from here. I'm super excited to be able to hear from an apostle again in person. Second time of my mission! 

Thursday night we went to the part of the ward that is like a million miles away from our apartment. It is where the lake is. The sun was just setting over the lake and it was super duper duper duper pretty. Probably one of the best things that I have seen in Peru so far. Definitely one of the things that makes you grateful that we have this beautiful world to live in.

Friday was November. Is it just me or did this month go by in what seemed like 3 days? Friday was a holiday here in Peru, so tons of people didn't have work. When people don't have work they start to drink. And when people start to drink on Friday, they keep drinking on Saturday, and keep drinking on Sunday, and continue on into Monday. Lots of drinking. The mission manual says that holidays are a great time to find people because people are home, but I really don't like the idea of going up and trying to teach someone who is drinking their 5th bottle of beer. Glad that weekend is behind us.

Friday we did have a really great lesson with Hermana Luciana. She has been wanting to be baptized but she had to be married first before she could be baptized. Turns out that she is going to be married on the 21st of this month! And she wants to be baptized on the 23rd! I'm super excited for her and for her decision to be baptized. She lived in the area of Lopez Albujar 2, so when the new missionaries get to our ward on the 19th of this month, they are going to have a baptism in their first week! What luck for them right! It's okay though. I really don't care about the number. I just want her to be baptized!

Saturday. Every weekend we eat with members. On Saturday we went to the house we were supposed to eat with and knocked on his door and he had completely forgotten. He felt really bad and took us in his taxi to a little food stand on the side of the road in a different ward to eat. The food stand is actually the business of the Bishop of that ward, so it was kind of fun going there. The food was super duper good too. First time I have eaten fried chicken here in Peru. Best meal I have eaten here. By far!

Sunday was Fast Sunday. I love Sundays. Especially Fast Sunday. Fasting isn't horrible to me like I used to think it was. Fasting is a blessing. D&C 59:14. Fasting is rejoicing. There are always a ton of people that want to bear their testimonies in sacrament meeting here. It's super cool. I love these people. Their faith is so strong. I love how the gospel is the same even though it is in a different language. And it's cool to think that the same message is taught throughout the world with tons of different languages. Sunday afternoon we went and visited those that were not able to come to church that we are teaching. We feel like it is important to make them feel like they were missed and let them know that we want them at church with us.

This coming week is the Ward Conference of this ward so there are going to be activities every day this week at the church leading up to the conference. Hopefully it will be a great way to invite investigators and less actives to come and get involved in the church. I'm super excited for this week. It's going to be a great week.

Today we went to Kurt Beer Park again for our zone activity. Pretty much the exact same thing as last time. It's pretty much the only place that we can go. It's pretty fun there. We played soccer and some other games. Our zone this transfer is combined with another one because we are lacking missionaries this transfer, but the following transfer there should be more. It was a pretty fun day. Fun to be able to relax and talk with other missionaries.
 
Me with a giant skull on the side of the road today!

Our Zone. With 2 members from here in Piura.

I'm so grateful to be a missionary. I receive so many blessings every single day. I'm so grateful for my testimony of the gospel. I know this church is true. I'm so grateful that I get to testify of the truth of the gospel every single day. It is a great time to be a missionary!

Love you all!

Elder Baker

McKay, RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX. I'm so jealous that you got to watch that. That's soooooooo cool. I love the Red Sox. A lot.

Lauren, Yes. I'm pretty upset and ridiculously happy about the Red Sox. I'm pretty jealous of your trunk or treat. It's okay though, because I'm not here to celebrate Halloween. I have way more important things to think about. How is the weather in Melbourne? 97 degrees here. Me gusta sudar.... hahahahaha Love you! Have a great week! Work hard!

 
It's pretty cold here in Peru....

No comments:

Post a Comment