Thursday, December 5, 2013

Turns out that it's true. Heaven is a place on earth. - 11/25/13

Holy moly. We had a zone activity at the beach today. And it was amazing. It took a while though so I might not have much time to write, but I'm going to try my best.
At Crab Beach
First off. I absolutely love Paita.  haha But for real. This place is beautiful. It's so nice waking up every morning and looking out the window at the ocean! One thing I love about being by the ocean is that there is always a nice breeze to cool you off, and that there are no stupid mosquitos that you have to deal with!

Tuesday was a great day. First thing in the morning we woke up and went running on the beach. At 6:30 in the morning, the only people that are there are us and the fishers going out in their boats to fish. Running was so nice. Even though it made me realize how out of shape I am, it was amazing. Tuesday morning we had a district meeting in our capilla which is right by the ocean. The people in my district are super cool. We had a great meeting about personal revelation through the Book of Mormon. I was honestly so confused with our area on Tuesday. I'm finally now starting to feel like I know my way around. There are tons of hills though. I like hills.

Wednesday. Best day of the mission. Maybe not the BEST day, but it was definitely up there. Wednesday we got to travel to Chiclayo to hear from Elder Russell M. Nelson. Such an amazing experience. We had to wake up at 4 in the morning and had to be at the bus station here in Paita at 5:15 with our whole zone to get on a bus to go to Piura. We got to Piura at about 6:30 and then hopped in a moto taxi and went to the stake center in Piura Central. That's where we met up with the entire mission and then got onto buses to go to Chiclayo. It was super fun seeing everyone from the mission. I saw a lot of people that I hadn't seen in a while. The bus ride to Chiclayo was 3 and a half hours. Pretty fun. Except for the 3 and a half hours. Buses are never fun. But it was definitely worth it. The conference with Elder Nelson was amazing. During his talk I received many answers to questions that I had. Questions that I had prayed to receive an answer about. I know that our Heavenly Father listens to our prayers. Always. And if we pray sincerely, he will answer our prayers. After the conference we got back on the buses and headed back to our mission and then to our areas. It was a really long day. I was so tired by the time we got back to our apartment but it was so worth it.
Me and my companion in Chiclayo
Thursday was a great day. I love working with my companion. He is such a happy, and hard- working kid. He is 22 years old, and was baptized when he was 19. He is the only member in his family. But he is the most hard-working kid I know. And he has such a strong testimony. He is one of the people that loves everyone. Thursday night we had a lesson with our investigator Esmeralda. She is 54 years old and her daughter is a member of the church. She has a baptismal date for this Saturday, the 30th. She is super duper excited for her baptism. And she is ready for her baptism too. All the time she bears her testimony to us and tells us how much the gospel has helped her so far in her life.

Friday night we were having a lesson with another one of our investigators. He is this 74 year old, hilarious guy. Everything he says is funny. His family is members and he has a baptismal date for the 24th of December. We were teaching him about fasting and when we told him that in the church we fast the first Sunday of every month for 2 meals, he says to us "That's easy. Sometimes I fast for a week." His family burst out in laughter and soon after he started to laugh and it was one of those moments where as hard as you are trying not to laugh, you can´t help it. He's a great guy though. One of those people that is impossible not to love.

Saturday morning I woke up sick. Being sick is no fun. Curled up on my bed is not the place I wanted to be on Saturday, but there wasn't much else I could do. We went to our Pension to eat on Saturday, and she fixed me soup, because that's the only thing that even sounded remotely good. Our pensionista here is great. Her husband is a fisher. And they love fish. I love fish too. We eat a lot of fish here. There and so many kinds of fresh fish that they sell right here in Paita. Anyway, she is great. Her house is super cool. Built into the side of the mountain overlooking the ocean. Pretty great view for lunch every day.

Sunday we had sacrament meeting. It was the first time I have ever attended a branch and not a ward that I can remember. It's pretty much exactly the same except there were only like 70 people there and it only took like 3 minutes to pass the sacrament. But other than that it's pretty much the same. It was super good. One thing I love about this branch though is that the ward mission leader is super active and wants to help us out as much as he can. That is something that is going to be really nice here.

Today, we had a zone activity. Our whole zone went to a beach that is like 20 minutes away from here that is called Crab Beach. Literally there are hundreds of crabs running around. Everywhere! They are all only about 3 or 4 inches wide though. We took a ton of pictures of the ocean and climbed a bunch of rocks and played some games and played soccer on the beach. It was honestly super duper fun. Definitely something that wouldn't have even been possible in Piura. I love being here in Paita. It's such a great experience.
 
There were hundreds of these crabs running around!
I love being a missionary. I know that Joseph Smith helped to restore the Gospel in this dispensation. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who loves us and answers our prayers. And I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know that he died for each and every one of us. And through him, we can be cleansed of all of our sins and mistakes and be made clean. I know this church is true!

Thanks for everything! Love you guys!

Elder Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment