Tuesday, November 25, 2014

It's so hot here... I would love some snow. - 11/24/14

24 de Noviembre 2014

Hey guys. We're to November 24th already. That means that in just one month it will be Christmas Eve! Pretty crazy, wouldn't you say? I'm having trouble believing that it's already so close!

This last week was a pretty good week! Not tons of things super exciting happened, but lots of good things are happening here in my area!

On Tuesday I had a Visita de Trabajo with Elder P. That was pretty cool. This time it was my turn to go to his area. It was the first time that I have ever been able to work in that half of the ward. It was pretty cool though! His area is really humble. Where they work is called an "invasion." It's where there is land that doesn't really have an owner, so people just go and stake out their territory and start building their houses there. They go in giant groups so that there really isn't anything that police can do about it because you can't really kick out 200 families from their houses. But anyway, it's pretty normal here. The people that live in these areas usually start with a house built of sticks and posts and palm tree leaves and plywood. And then as the time goes by they start improving their houses little by little. The area is about 15 years old now and it's starting to get developed. There still isn't any water though. Can you imagine that? Living 15 years without water in your house? They have to bring water from other parts. Pretty crazy, no??? It was a pretty sweet day though. I love working in those areas because the people are humble and humble people are willing to listen! Sometimes it can be so frustrating when no one will even give you the time of day. I can just imagine how it would be serving somewhere like New York. 

Wednesday we had a zone meeting. That was pretty fun. I love zone meetings. This time we talked about all of the stuff that Elder Evans had taught us in the conference on Saturday. And at the end, all of the missionaries that are finishing their missions this transfer bore their testimonies. There are 5 of them here in this zone. Honestly, listening to them made me sad because I started thinking about how I'm going to feel when it's my turn to bear my testimony. I don't want that day to come. I want to just be able to keep working here!

Friday was a fun day because in the morning we had weekly planning! Actually, that's not why it was a good day because that can be kind of boring sometimes. It was a great day because we had interviews with President Rowley! I love interviews with President Rowley! The interviews were supposed to start at like 2:45 pm in the stake center. And we live like 15 minutes from the stake center in a mototaxi. So we left at like 2:10 to be able to arrive a little bit early. But when we showed up to the stake center we realized that we had forgotten our area book and we had to have it so that the zone leaders could review it. So we had to hurry and fly back to our apartment and get the area book and fly back to the stake center! And we ended up getting there a little bit late at 2:50. But the good news is that President was running a little bit late so we still made it on time for our interviews! jaja. Sometimes I wish I could remember things a little bit better.... jaja. But anyway, President is great. After the interviews you always feel super great about yourself and super excited to work! I have no doubt that President Rowley is the perfect mission president for me and for this mission! 

Saturday was sweet. Probably the best part of it was Saturday night with E P. He is a super sweet investigator. He really does want to learn about the gospel. He wants to change his life. He wants his family to be happy. And he knows that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and that it is going to help him achieve that goal! The only problem is that he has a super hard job. He has to work over 12 hours a day and really isn't earning that much. He's a great person though! At the end of the lesson he offered a prayer. And to tell you the truth it was probably the most sincere prayer that I have heard during the entire mission. If everyone knew how to pray like he does, there would be soooo many more converts in this church. There are tons of people that never receive answers, just because they won't ask! He is super great though! I'm super excited to keep working with him!
We have another investigator with a baptismal date! His name is T L. He is like 28 years old and his sister is a member of the church. He has been attending church for a while now but never listened to the missionaries because he said he didn't have time with his work and schooling. But on Sunday he came up to us and said. "Can you guys visit me? I know this church is true. And I want to come closer to God. Can you guys help me be baptized?" SWEET! The Lord really is preparing people to be baptized, but in His own time. Sometimes we have to wait until they are fully prepared. But Thomas is prepared. He wants to be baptized the first Saturday in January! So I'm super excited!

The work here in this area is progressing! Slowly but surely! I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I have to be a missionary here in Sullana right now. I am here for a reason. This church is true. No doubt about it. There are 2 things that make me really happy in my life. Those things are (1) The gospel of Jesus Christ and (2) my family. I don't know where I would be without those things! 

Love you all! Thanks for the love and support!

Elder Baker

P.S. -  I would love some snow. I want to make a snow angel--but in my short running shorts. jaja. It's so hot here. I swear if I make it through this summer here in Sullana it will be a miracle!
Are you excited for Christmas! Cause I sure am! I'm excited to talk to all of you guys! Christmas in the mission is hard, but it's great. Have a great week! Love ya!



No comments:

Post a Comment