Monday, December 29, 2014

...We ate pollo a la brasa... not gonna lie, it's a whole lot better than turkey! - 12/01/14

1 de Diciembre, 2014

Did you guys read that right?? Because I sure did. We are already in December. I'm having trouble believing it. But it's true. We're already here. Finishing up 2014. It seems like it was just yesterday when I was in Paita getting ready for my first Christmas in the mission. How things have changed! But I'm glad to still be here! Christmas in Peru as a missionary is different. But it's good. I can't say that I'm not going to be missing home a little bit this month, but I can say that I would rather be here than there. Want to know why? Because I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. And you really don't need much more reason than that! 

So anyways. I don't really know what to write. Every week when I get here my mind goes blank and my heart starts beating fast and I have no clue what to say... jaja... missionary problems. But this week was a great week! Today is transfer day here in the mission, but my companion and I don't have transfers so we're staying another transfer together. And honestly I'm super glad that I am not leaving because I'm not ready to leave this area because we are starting to see success! 

So first off! T L and C C are going great! We had a super sweet lesson with the 2 of them this last week! C is W L's friend and T L is W´s sister. So we are teaching them together! We taught them about the Book of Mormon and honestly it was probably the coolest lesson that we taught this last week! The spirit was so strong! It was one of those moments that make me love being a missionary! It was super cool! 

Another great Investigator that we have right now is J S. He is an 18 year old college student. His dad is a returned missionary but is less active. His grandma is super active though and goes to church each week with her grandchildren. J didn't want anything to do with the church when we started teaching him. He just told us, "Hey, I'm Catholic and my church is the true church." But we just kept loving him and we started to gain his confidence. And now he has opened up to us and shared with us his doubts and he is starting to investigate the church! He came to church on Sunday and stayed for 3 hours for the first time in 10 years. His grandma is super excited. He is reading the Book of Mormon and praying and doing everything he needs to do! Hopefully this week we will be able to set a baptismal date with him! Pray for him! Lots!

When Elder Evans visited our mission a couple of weeks ago he taught us about the importance of asking for referrals. So this week we have been asking TONS! From everyone. Multiple times! And it's working! We are finding lots of new people to teach! This week we were able to teach M O and her son G. She is a physical therapist and her son is 16 years old. She is a friend of M H who is a less active member that we have activated. But anyway, we taught them for the first time this week and they committed to come to church on Sunday. That's not super crazy because lots of people commit to coming to church. The crazy part is that they actually came! And they stayed for all 3 hours! And afterwards they talked to us about how much they enjoyed it and can't wait for us to visit them more! I'm so excited! Being a missionary is the best! 

Crazy part about this last week was probably our service project on Saturday. The 6 missionaries here in our ward and our ward mission leader were trying to think of activities to find new investigators. So we decided to have a free moto taxi car wash at the church! It was super sweet! Saturday morning we ended up washing like 25 moto taxis for free. And everyone that came gave us their name and directions to go and visit them one day and teach them more about the church! It was a pretty cool activity! I never would have thought of it!

Thanksgiving was pretty great! Even though no one here does anything to celebrate it. The reason it was great though is because the Stake President and his wife invited us over to have Thanksgiving dinner with them! We didn't eat turkey, we ate pollo a la brasa. But not gonna lie, it's a whole lot better than turkey! jaja. But anyway, it makes me thankful for all the blessings I have. I may not have spent it with you guys, but I sure was thinking of y'all. We’re lots of miles away, but in my heart, you're never too far away! I really have been so blessed in my life!

I'm about out of time. I love you guys! Hope you have a great week! 


Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment