Tuesday, May 27, 2014

We should give it our all every single day. - 5/19/14

Subject: 19 de mayo 2014

Well how are you all? It's been a while since we've talked—jaja, like a week. 

This last week was pretty great. Lots of things happened. I don't have tons of time today, but I'll try to fill you guys in on as much as possible.

So this last Tuesday was pretty good. Before lunch, we had to run all of our dirty clothes to the lavanderia. The lady that washes our clothes is super cool. There is only one problem—the problem is that her house is super far away from our apartment. So we have the choice of walking in the hot sun hauling our clothes or we can pay for a moto taxi. They both are pretty stinky options if you ask me. But we decided to walk. We're missionaries. We really don't have much money. jaja. And then we went to eat lunch. The lunch we ate on Tuesday was interesting. It reminds me of when McKay and I used to joke around and say that mom was making "Clear out the fridge casserole" jaja. But for real. It was rice, pineapple juice, beef, fried bananas, fried eggs, and sausage. That was a pretty interesting meal. I had never thought of combining those things before to make a lunch, and I don't think I will ever think of doing that again. But our pensionista is actually pretty good. For real!

Tuesday afternoon we had probably the coolest lesson of the entire week. It was the first lesson that we had with one of the cousins of Elder I. We left her with a pamphlet of the restoration before and had invited her to read it and told her that we would be coming back to talk about what she had read. Normally when we say that, we come back and the people say that they haven't had time to read. But she had actually read what we had left her. And she had a lot of super great questions about it. We were able to teach that lesson to her and it went so well. It was one of the lessons where the spirit is directing every single word that comes out of your mouth. And she understood almost everything that we taught! It was such a cool lesson. Afterwards Elder I and I just had to sit down and analyze that lesson. It was so cool! 

Wednesday probably the highlight of the day was the service project we had in the morning. We got to move bricks. Sounds pretty fun doesn't it? I actually enjoyed it! I like sweating out in the sun. I know. I'm weird. But I like it. And then that night we had a pretty cool family night with the Bishop. The bishop of this ward is super cool. And it's super good to be able to work with him. I'm really glad to be here in this ward! 

Thursday we had a zone conference. Our zone is Castilla, which is part of Piura. So that means we have to travel to Piura for our zone conferences. The stake center is about 45 minutes away from our area. It was a super great meeting. Elder G and Elder L are our zone leaders. They're super great. They talked a lot about the new trial program that our mission is participating in. We are one of 5 missions that are doing it. The point of the program is to use family history to help reactivate less active members and to help retain converts active in the church. The focus of it is to help less active and converts prepare names of their ancestors to take to the temple. It's pretty cool. 
Our zone on P-Day!
 After that they talked about giving it your all. Elder G talked a lot about not being okay with just being mediocre because we are representatives of Jesus Christ. We aren't mediocre people. We are here sharing the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  He said that at the end of our missions they should have to send medics to retrieve us because we have worked so hard that we can hardly walk. That made me think a lot. There are lots of times where I work super hard. But even then, I think there is maybe even more that I can do. And this conference was the motivation to just do it! And another bonus—I got my package of Easter candy! Thanks guys!
My Easter treats - a little late, but at least they made it!
 Friday was the worst day of the mission. I woke up super sick and was sick pretty much the entire day. I probably spent over 20 of the 24 hours in my bed. Luckily it was just a one-day flu. I don't really want to write about it again. You can read my journal after the mission. I wrote all about it.

Saturday I wasn't back to 100 percent, but I was feeling good enough to be able to work. Since we didn't get to have weekly planning Friday, we had to do it Saturday. Another thing exciting about Saturday is that I was able to teach my first class of English in the church. It's kind of fun teaching English. Some people actually catch on pretty quickly. But others just don't get it at all. I understand how they feel though. In the CCM I was one of those people. I didn't understand hardly a thing. jaja.

Well anyways. Not much else super crazy happened that I can remember. And I'm about out of time! Love you guys! Thanks for everything! 

The Church is true. No doubt about it! 

Elder Baker


Lauren, I'm jealous of that picture of a kangaroo eating out of your hand. If you want, next week I can send you a picture of me feeding some cockroaches if you want??? jaja Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment