Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I love General Conference... - 10/13/14

13 de Octubre 2014
Well hello there family, including Lauren...... How are y'all. I'm not going to lie. It's pretty crazy to think that Lauren is home from the mission. Seems like just yesterday she left. But time has passed by.  
Well as for me, I'm doing well. Things here in Sullana are good. I don't have much time today. And I was kind of excited about reading all your emails, hearing about Lauren and seeing all the pics. But anyway, I'll still try to write a little bit for you guys about what has happened! Next week the letter might be a little bit longer...
A river in Sullana
This last week passed by slowly but surely. I’ve found something out on my mission as I have worked with many different companions. I have to focus on the good things that they each add to the companionship. No matter our differences, we have the same purpose, which is to invite people to come unto Christ. And we have to forget the differences and focus on what we have in common and work towards that goal we have and then it’s all good.
 
My district in Sullana
Well anyways. For sure the highlight of this last week was Saturday and Sunday. You guys got to watch General Conference one week before us. But we couldn't because it was elections week. But this last week we got to watch it! And it was sooooooooooooo good. I love General Conference. I watched it in Spanish again. And want to know something cool? After it was over I realized that I was able to understand everything the entire conference. Which is pretty crazy because last year in October I wouldn't have gotten hardly anything out of conference. Maybe a little bit of the songs that the choir sings (because those are in English). But this time it was great! And it was super cool that they let some people give their talks in their native language! There were two in Spanish which was super cool! It meant a lot to the people here in South America. Lots of people have said things like they wish they could hear the apostles and prophet speak with their own voices and not with a translator. So this conference there were two people that gave their talks in Spanish. And Richard G. Scott always gives his talk in Spanish because he records it in Spanish before the conference. Looking back on it, I really don't know if I had a favorite talk or anything. My favorite part was everything! The part that I could feel the spirit strongest though was when El Coro Tabernaculo Mormón sang How Firm a Foundation. I could feel the spirit so strong. I love moments like that! Moments like that make me completely sure that this isn't a joke. It's the real deal. I'm so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!
In the park after General Conference with Elder T--oh yeah, and Barney!

As for how the P family is going... We were able to teach them once this last week and the lesson went super sweet! They are progressing a ton! And on Sunday they came to the conference to hear the prophet speak to us! And they liked it a lot! So keep on praying for them! This week we are going to visit them 2 times! They are super sweet!
 
Marcavelica


We were able to teach R R this week for the first time in almost 3 weeks! (Because he got a new job.) Which is good, but it also presents a challenge because he works from 7 in the morning until 8 at night 7 days a week. But we had a great lesson with him! And he is super excited to learn more about the church. He is looking up a lot to his cousin that just got his mission call to Uruguay Montevideo. So that's sweet! 

We were able to teach F B again yesterday! And she is super sweet! There are members visiting her! And she is super excited to attend church with us for the first time this next Sunday! She is one of the most intelligent people that I've met on the mission. And she is progressing a ton! She has super great questions. My companion is kind of scared of her questions though because he says that lots of times he doesn't know how to respond. But I'm not scared because I know that if I don't know how to respond to something she asks then I can just bear testimony of what I do know and let the spirit testify and give second witness! She's super sweet! 

Well anway, those are our 3 investigators that are progressing  for now. Keep praying for them please! I'm super excited to be here in this area. Even though there have been lots and lots and lots of challenges, I'm learning a ton! And I love being a missionary! 

This next week is the last of the transfer. Saturday night we'll be finding out about transfers. Elder E and I are anxiously waiting for Saturday! He has 3 transfers here in this area and he could be leaving, but it is also possible that he will be staying one transfer more. Who knows. But whatever happens, I know I'll be okay because I know our Heavenly Father directs this work! Everything happens for a reason!

Love you guys tons! Sorry for the short letter! Have a great week!

Elder Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment