Monday, March 2, 2015

I really have met some of the kindest people in the world here in Peru! - 02/23/15

23 de Febrero, 2015

Hey guys! How is it going! Time is flying by here in the mission! Seems like just yesterday that I got here to the mission. But 14 transfers have already flown by! I'm down to just 3 transfers left... :( I'm going to make the best of it though!

This last week was the last week of transfers. And we were super busy as zone leaders because there were tons of things that we had to do. But our zone had 6 baptisms! So that was cool!

Saturday we received the news about transfers. So at noon we had to go to internet to print out the sheet with all of the transfers on it. We got on, and we found out that my companion was being transferred to Piura and that I was going to be receiving a new companion here in Tumbes. His name is Elder Maturana and he is from Chile. He has 21 months in the mission and only has 3 left. But he is a super cool missionary that I met a while ago and I'm super excited to be companions with him! So Elder Dominguez left this morning and Elder Maturana arrived at about 1:00 this afternoon. I'm going to love this next transfer!

I enjoyed my last week here with Elder Dominguez. He really was a great companion and he taught me a ton! I'm super grateful to have been able to work with him! We were busy pretty much the entire week doing baptismal interviews and taking care of some other problems. But it was a good week!
Saying goodbyes to Elder M!

My pensionista and her family!

We decided to do some exchanges with a companionship in our zone and help them work some problems out. So I got to go with Elder B in his area and work with him for a day which was super sweet! I met Elder B back in May when I was in La UniĆ³n. So it was super fun working with him for a day. He is from California. And he is super tall. Normally here I feel like a giant, but next to him I felt small again. I'm sure that's how I will feel when I get back to Utah... But anyway! That night we got talking about sports. And before we realized it was already 11:30 and we had been talking about sports for an hour and a half. jaja. It was super fun though! He is a great missionary. He got transferred today though to Sullana where he is going to be a zone leader. It was a great day with him!

We got a crazy call from the sisters on Saturday. They called us from the emergency room telling us that they needed money to pay for the visit and to buy some medicine that they needed because Hermana O got stung twice by a scorpion.... That's something that doesn't happen every day!

I'm super grateful for the new bishop here in the ward! He is super excited and willing to work and to help us out! So many times this last week he has come with us to visit some less active members! And we are seeing progress! Yesterday there were over 130 people that came to church! Which is a lot more than normal!

So my birthday was on the 16th and the Bishop's on the 17th. So on Tuesday night they had a little surprise birthday celebration for the 2 of us in the church. There were more than 50 members there with birthday cakes for us! It was super cool! They sang happy birthday to us and made us take a bite out of the cake and as you go to take a bite they shove it in your face and you are all covered in frosting. jaja. The members here in this ward are great! It was a super great birthday! I may not have been at home, but I didn't feel too far from home! I'm so grateful for loving members! I really have met some of the kindest people in the world here in Peru!

So Junior C had to go to Matapalo this week to work. So we weren't able to teach him, but he did come back on Saturday night and came to church on Sunday! This week we are going to be teaching him more! His dad is doing great! J C is a great convert! He is going to be a great leader in the church!

Today Elder G came to Tumbes from Sanchez Cerro, my old ward, in Sullana. And he told me that our convert,T L is doing great and is one of the most active members in Sullana! I'm so grateful to have gotten to know T! It makes me happy hearing about converts that are still active in the church!

I'm doing great! Love you guys tons! Thanks for all the love and support that you guys give me!

Elder Baker!


P.S. - Tumbes is hot. Literally. Sometimes I think I'm going to die from the heat. But after taking a cold shower I'm able to calm down a bit..... jaja. 

No comments:

Post a Comment